Byzantine Crypt
It is a Byzantine church, built on an existing early Christian structure. The remains consist of two pairs of columns that support a barrel vault and two arches.
The original plan can be linked to a common module in the Byzantine environment, called "a quincoce", that is, a Greek cross inscribed in a square.
The building retains important traces of the past, such as the frescoes depicting Sant’Onofrio, San Giovanni Battista and the Redeemer, which can be traced back to at least three different decorative cycles and an underground room called "sterna a church", that is the church cistern.
In the 18th century the crypt was used as a cemetery and in 1953, during the restoration of the Cathedral, it was restored to its current conditions.